Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Crafty Cruising

Earlier this month, I went on a 7-night Caribbean cruise with Colin.  I knew I wanted to create during our "at sea" days and evenings after leaving the ports.  Originally, I intended to pack my chainmaille supplies but then I thought the pliers could be an issue. So I packed two other things; an adult coloring book and a bead embroidery project.

Cabochon glued to backing
I selected a glass cabochon by SueBeads that reminded me of a tide pool and glued it to some dyed Stiff Stuff (from Bead My Love).

Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas.  Norwegian Spirit in the background.
I gathered up an assortment of seed beads that were inspired by the colors of Caribbean waters.
Base row of galvanized seed beads
I fell in love with these galvanized seed beads at the bead retreat last month so I came home with an assortment of them, including these fabulous blue ones.
Even-count peyote bezel
And thanks to Jenny and Meg, they taught me peyote bezel at the retreat.  I loved how those little 15's  matched some of the speckles in the cabochon.

Adding visual interest and playing off the bubble-design
Each night, I sat on our balcony and added a little more to the design.  It was a nice way to wind down in the evening.

Final row consisting of size 8 and 6 seeds.
This is where my design ended on the cruise.  I realized I hadn't packed any glue or leather for backing material.

Travel-size coloring book
Once I could no longer work on the bead embroidery, I pulled out my travel-size coloring book.  I picked this up last minute at Barnes & Noble before we left.

Completed pages
These are just a few of the pages I worked on between the cruise and my flights.  These were so much fun, I can see why adult coloring books are trendy right now!

Costa Maya, Mexico
I had a great time on the cruise and it was so nice to have projects to work on.  I don't think I'll ever travel again without a craft to take with me!

Happy Beading!

No comments :

Post a Comment

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.